4.24.2007

Who's Gonna Drive You Home?

Why, Nathan Fillion, of course. Sorry, Ric Ocasek fans. The fanboy favorite of Buffy, Firefly and Slither stars in Fox’s new series called Drive. It’s like The Amazing Race, except the contest is called only “The Race,” and if you get eliminated, you don’t get a conciliatory hug from an affable Aussie… your wife gets killed. Or something equally bad happens. Maybe.

Buried secrets abound in this show, and it’s a fairly safe guess they’ll all come to light once a group of ordinary strangers are forced to Cannonball Run across the country in search of $32 million and resolution of their personal dilemmas. So is it any good?


Based on the first handful of episodes, I’d say… sure. With reservations. Drive requires a pretty healthy suspension of disbelief. And I mean healthy like Bruce Willis in Unbreakable healthy – if you’re one of those people who say things like “that wouldn’t happen,” then watching this show shouldn’t happen. The Race itself is a little questionable, some of the pairings are suspect (particularly the estranged good/bad brother combo), and the show has a flight of fancy feeling overall.


But if you don’t get hung up on the details, it’s fun. Fillion’s always good, the accountant from The Untouchables is appealing as The Race’s DungeonMaster, and it’s a decent car chase every week. Plus, the producers have a good pedigree, with shows like Angel and Wonderfalls under their belt. Put your mind on cruise control and enjoy.

5 comments:

McGone said...

I'm digging it so far, but I'm sure it's mostly the Fillion factor. How that guy isn't a bigger star, I'll never know.

Moderator said...

There aren't enough flights of fancy on network television.

Frank Sirmarco said...

My DVR went out right as the 2 hour series premier was to begin recording. Looks like I'll have to wait for the DVD.

Geo said...

mcgone: All of the stuff he's been great in is quirky offbeat. He prolly needs to land some major action franchise (sorry, Serenity) or sitcom or something for the rest of the world to take notice.

grant: Could not agree more. Well, maybe I could, but not quite sure how.

frank: The first four eps (which I believe would catch you up) are available online, I think. Streaming video ain't the greatest, but still.

Unknown said...

If I do something bad this week I will punish myself by watching this show.