12.12.2006

I've got my Sprite...

...I've been tagged again. Thanks, Chris, altho you may know how the story goes. My Junior High and High School crushes were the 1-2 punch of Regan Kuehnle and Marlene Haegele. A striking brunette and willowy blonde, respectively. Hoo boy. Had a few pseudo-dates with each which, in hindsight, I prolly could have turned into real ones had I been a bit more self-aware. Ah well.

However, given the theme of this blog, I’ll concentrate on my big-time college crush: Kristy Swanson. Stumbled across her in the original Buffy the Vampire Slayer and was instantly smitten. Classic California beach blonde, and she spent much of the movie in cheerleader attire. Seriously.


So I found her in magazines, put up her posters, tracked down VHS tapes from her rather checkered film career, etc. Revisited her as Simone, the girl who said “Um, he's sick. My best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who saw Ferris pass out at 31 Flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.” Suffered thru Mannequin 2: On the Move. Realized she was the chick Duckie ended up with at the end of Pretty in Pink.


Given that I often drew Duckie comparisons at the time, I suppose it’s no surprise that I decided to push this crush beyond your garden-variety celebrity obsession. Perhaps it was Xmas fever, perhaps it was too much egg nog, but I decided to invite her to my agency’s holiday party – I was a senior at USC at the time, interning at Ogilvy & Mather Direct.


So I skimmed through one of (the many ;) articles I had on her and figured out who her publicist was. Wrote a witty yet sincere invitation and faxed it off on company letterhead. Very professional. I don't believe I mentioned I was a college intern. At that point, I assumed this little lark was over, but a small spark wondered “What if…”


Turns out that question was answered later in the day, when a number I didn’t recognize popped up on the Caller ID on my cubicle phone. Trying to sound far more mature than I was, I picked it up to find myself talking to the aforementioned publicist. She explained that she’d shown the invite to Kristy, who thought it was the nicest thing, and she would have said yes… but had to decline, as she currently had a boyfriend.


I said I understood.


Her boyfriend at the time, I believe, was Chad Lowe. So I was saying this thru clenched teeth. I mean, I’m no superstar, but I could have taken Chad Lowe. This was even before he got all weepy at The Oscars.

8 comments:

Some Guy said...

I never heard that story. So close and yet so far. Fucking Chad Lowe, little panty-waste.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear that arranging for Marlene's name to be on the Comiskey Park scoreboard did not help, um, score.

Geo said...

Chris: Amen, bruthah.

And HelloMoto - wow, the Comiskey Park scoreboard. Brings me back, as I'd completely blanked on that. For her birthday, if I remember correctly. I was unfortunately a fan of making the grand gesture... and not really following up on it. Sigh.

Any other tales I regaled you with that would give me a clue to my past (and yours)?

Unknown said...

Marlene Haegele. I had a thing for her in junior high. Good call, brother. Then in high school she becames a dead head and we bonded over that. She called me "preppy" *sniff*.

Valerie said...

Now you've got to tell the Comiskey Park scoreboard story!

Did Regan marry one of the Cronins that lived near the high school and always had a huge CRONIN sign in their front yard during election time?

Good story re: Kristy Swanson.

Geo said...

Valerie: Memory hazy, but not much of a story. A pseudo-date for her birthday once I found out she was a Sox fan. Old Comiskey; I think they won. As I dropped her off, she invited me in to watch Letterman... and that's all I did. Sigh.

And yes – I believe she married one of those Cronins, tho they're hard to tell apart ;)

Dave: First – holy crap, Dave Brennan! And whereas you made the dead head connection, that's where we started to drift. Oh, I tried, but somewhere in the 17th minute of some jam or another I got kinda lost...

Valerie said...

re: the Marlene story: WHAT? Do men need a giant sign that says, "I like you!"???

When I started dating Chad he says he didn't know I liked him...despite the fact I was over in his room every night, for several weeks, until about 1:00 a.m. talking about everything under the sun. He claims that he thought I was being friendly. I wasn't "being friendly" with anyone else though!

Men are clueless.

Geo said...

Valerie: To answer your question, yes. And in response to your last line... yes.