8.08.2007

Rock On, Pop•Tarts!

My man Frank may have posted weekly recaps of American Idol, but I'm throwing down the gauntlet to declare myself the bigger geek, I mean fan... because last night I ventured back to the muddy sounds of the Allstate Arena, but instead of power-popping myself to death, I had tickets to the American Idols Live! Tour... presented (with wild abandon) by Pop•Tarts.

Disclosure: I worked on a promotion with Idol, so this was a company outing with free tickets.
Full Disclosure: I secretly kinda just wanted to go.

It's hard to know where to go with a review like this. If you hate Idol and all it stands for, the sight of the 10 "best" singers in America covering a random smattering of hits isn't going to change your mind. If you're a fan (and a 9-year old girl), tho, it's everything you could hope for and more.

Embarrassingly Full Disclosure: The last time I attended a teeny-bopper show, I thought that maybe half the audience was half my age. This time, I'd consider myself lucky if half the audience had double-digits in their age. Sigh.

The tour is basically a series of greatest hits performances from the previous season: Phil sang Blaze of Glory looking like an extra from The Matrix, Melinda sang You Make Me Feel Like a Natural Woman looking like she had her neck surgically removed, and LaKisha sang I Will Always Love You looking like Whitney Houston ate Dolly Parton.

The crowd ate it up, altho it's debatable whether the actual performances or text-messaging shout outs like "screem if u luv Blakeee like me do!" posted on the jumbotrons got more response.

Other highlights and lowlights (your call as to which is which):
In truth, Blake's prolly the breakout star. It'll be interesting to see whether Jordin Sparks joins the Kelly Clarksons and Carrie Underwoods of the world, or is reduced to the Fantasia Barrino/Rueben Studdard/Taylor Hicks level, but say what you want about Blake Lewis... that sumbitch can beatbox.

So - a good time was had by all, particularly if you loved Pop•Tarts and assorted Kellogg's products, as the Idols closed the show wearing retro cereal shirts and made sure to thank their corporate sponsor (Pop•Tarts, if you hadn't been paying attention) as well as their friends in Chicago as they walked off the stage.

Oh, and the Season Seven auditions are going on now. We'll catch up with Idol in January – for now, Stewart out!

8 comments:

Valerie said...

Nice job perk.

Best editorial comment:
"LaKisha sang I Will Always Love You looking like Whitney Houston ate Dolly Parton."

Did you get free pop tarts?

Did the "idols" look the same in person as they did on TV?

Personally, I don't think Jordin will follow in Kelly or Carrie's shoes.

Unknown said...

Great review. I also found myself wondering/picturing you in a skybox with A LOT of Pop Tarts. That wouldn't be so bad.

Frank Sirmarco said...

I was so glad when the UCF forgot to buy tickets to this musical abortion.

Moderator said...

So which part of the audience liked Pop*Tarts more?

Geo said...

Stage Left. He went to Stage Right first, and their cheers left a bit to be desired... mostly because they were mired in thoughts like WTF?

Some Guy said...

You are a stronger man than I, Mr. Geo.

Who was that sponsor again?

Jenny Jenny Flannery said...

Nice review. Did you have a giant pop-tart trying to warm up the crowd at the beginning of the show? It looked like It was giving everyone the finger. My friends and I suspected it was Diana Degarmo in that suit in a desparate attempt to recapture her Idol glory.

Geo said...

Yeah, Mr. Pop•Tart was there, in all his strangely-shaped majesty. Diana Degarmo – well played!