7.30.2007

Mmmmm... ovie

Had a Very Simpsons Weekend: saw the movie and went to the 7-11 Kwik-E-Mart on the south side of Chicago. Both were fun, altho neither were the Best. Whatever. Ever.

Movie: Basically an oversized episode, but sort of like the show – still funnier than most of the "regular" movie comedies. Liked that they focused on The Simpsons and told more of a personal story than an overstuffed cameo-athon. I haven't watched the show with any regularity for years, and seeing the movie made me want to tune in again. Which, I suppose, makes the Fox executives very happy. D'oh!

Kwik-e-Mart: They were out of Krusty-Os and Buzz Cola, but I did get a chance to have a Squishee amd eat an "official" Simpsons donut which, shockingly, tasted like... a frosted donut with sprinkles. Still, tho – a really fun (and pretty ballsy) promotion. It's less of a total store takeover, but the signage set it apart and the plastic characters gave the store more... character than normal. Fun. Here are a couple more shots:

5 comments:

Moderator said...

I've read similar reviews - it's like an extended show. Which can't be all bad. It's like saying a Beatles album is just a collection of a few singles.

I hope to see it this weekend.

Some Guy said...

Yeah, I heard the same. I'm just glad they didn't do something worse than an extended episode.

Does anyone who regularly watches in nowadays think it's worth it? I can't remember when it stopped being a weekly staple for me, but I'm curious if it's anywhere near the level it was at its heyday.

McGone said...

I'll watch the new ones and think "meh" but then I find myself laughing at that same episode when it is in reruns.

So I'm still a fan.

But of course, I'll then see an episode from one of the first few seasons, and the whole thing is moot. I doubt it can ever get near the Glory Days, but I'll still watch.

Valerie said...

I think I was more of a die-hard Simpsons fan back in college and like you, haven't watched it in recent years. Like most movies, I'll wait for it to come out on DVD.

The Kwik-E-Mart idea is cool though.

Moderator said...

I stopped watching routinely in about 2000. Now I just have the TiVo pick up a few random episodes each week. I'm still pretty impressed. Although that's some of the only TV I watch.