1.26.2007

Can We Get to Hollywood Already? Dawg?

Here's the thing – I've come to grips with the fact that I love American Idol. And not ironically. It's sort of like the Olympics. I used to think that I only watched for the goofy sports like Biathlon (skiing with guns!) and to laugh knowingly at the personal interest stories, all the while thinking that I was far better than this.

Turns out I'm not.

When the first season of Idol became a phenomenon, I tuned in toward the end of it just to see the spectacle. Or so I thought. Because when a Dunkleman-free Season 2 rolled around, I was with it start to finish. Sure, I'll fast-forward thru a results show here and there, but otherwise I've lost my illusions of calling it a guilty pleasure. I now watch guilt-free.

But I'm tired of the auditions. What started as an interesting assembly of fresh faces sparked by the occasional oddball has turned into a two-hour parade of freaks. That's two hours a night, twice a week. America's fascination with the William Hungs of the world seems to have finally faded – can we please focus on the search for the next Katharine McPhee? (Don't start with Taylor Hicks, I'm no fan of The Soul Patrol.)

There's a week to go before we hit Hollywood to separate the hopefuls from the has-beens. Only four more hours, and then w
e can get to the real meat of the show – Randy Jackson saying "Dawg," Paula Abdul choking back tears and Simon Cowell crushing the misguided dreams of marginally talented people. I say bring it.

4 comments:

Moderator said...

I know that I am out of step with society, but I have never ever laid eyes on this show. Not out of any spite. Just coincidence. I've seen clips and know the main players, but never actually watched it.

For about 20 years, I hated the Olympics, but got into it again in 2004 or whenever. Same goes with the world cup. Although I never cared about the world cup until 2006. Or 2005. Or whenever the last one was.

Valerie said...

The first few weeks are clearly about all the losers out there and who can make the biggest fool out of themselves. They barely showcase people with talent right now.

I do watch the auditions, and love blogging about it. But I really enjoy the show when the true talent comes to the forefront.

Do you think Randy gets an extra bonus each time he raises that Coca-Cola cup, which seems to be almost everytime he makes a comment?

I'm not a Taylor Hicks fan either. I thought Katherine should've won.

Geo said...

Grant: Idol is sort of insidious. You think it's a lark, then before you know it you're blown away that Prince is appearing on the finale. I've never cared about the World Cup because it was on at 3am and was soccer. This one, tho, I had some of our Italian friends actually explain the game to me, which helped some.

Valerie: You're right, but it seems like the ratio's way off. First couple years it felt more 50/50. Ah well.

I bet Randy will really rake in the bucks if/when he renames his Dawg Pound the Coca Cola Crew. And glad to hear you're anti-Taylor. I totally had McPheever.

Unknown said...

Do you guys think Paula is drunk or maybe has a disease or what?