1.29.2007

Weekend Wrapup

Movies instead of TV this time. While I’m not in love with the Oscar nominations this year, my inner geek generally drives me to see most of them. And, you know, some other crap along the way. Was going to do these in “60 words per” style, but figure movies are twice as long, so the reviews can be, too:

It’s 2027 and the world has gone to hell because all women are infertile. A miracle mother appears on the scene, and who does it fall to to protect her? Clive Owen, in disaffected shaggy former hero mode.

While this is pretty bleak and British stuff, it’s absolutely fantastic. Expect a little more exposition than you’d like at the beginning, but pretty quick it’s off and running. The vision of the future is chillingly realistic, as is the way it’s shot. Most of the movie is rough and handheld, culminating with an uninterrupted sequence that might make Scorsese jealous. After reinvigorating the Harry Potter series (with Prisoner of Azkaban) Alfonso Cuaron really comes into his own with this masterpiece.


Ben Stiller’s a divorced dad in need of a job, so signs up to be a night watchman at the Museum of Natural History. Which is more surprising, that the exhibits come to life at night or that the events of the movie rekindle the relationship with his son?

That said, good(ish) special effects, a handful of laughs, and a nice “those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it message” make for mildly amusing and harmless fun. Stiller cranks out his standard humor, Owen Wilson does his schtick, Carla Gugino is lovely as always, and of particular note – Dick Van Dyke and Mickey Rooney are, in fact, alive.


Jennifer Garner’s wedding becomes a wake when her fiancé dies unexpectedly. Even more surprising is the fact that it turns out he fathered a child with a New Age massage therapist from LA. As you might guess, complications (romantic and otherwise) ensue.

C & R is a messy movie about a messy situation, and while it’s not terrifically successful, its heart is in the right place. Garner’s great – good to see she can handle a movie without handling a gun. Timothy Olyphant’s solid as the unlikely love interest. Kevin Smith steps out from behind the camera to play almost a parody of himself, and while it’s pretty broad, it’s also pretty funny. Not high art, but not bad either.


The global diamond-mining crisis, complete with warring clans and chopped off hands, gets boiled down into sort of a buddy movie. Kind of like if you crossed Lethal Weapon 2 with Kanye West’s “Diamonds from Sierra Leone.”

Despite the fact that it feels a bit pat, Blood Diamond’s really quite good. Leo rocks a Rhodesian accent (at least I assume so, having never heard one before), Djimon Hounsou’s terrific in everything he’s in, and Jennifer Connelly, while not terribly compelling as a hard-as-nails journalist, is pretty enough to get a pass. Edward Zwick directed, and this feels a lot like his recent Last Samurai, where the overarching backdrop is secondary to two men bonding. Liked it, didn’t love it.


5 comments:

Valerie said...

Did you see all of these movies this past weekend?

If so, I'm jealous of all the free time you have.

I'm a big "Alias" fan and loved Jennifer Garner in it. I was shocked the first time I saw her interviewed and saw how different she was from her "Alias" character. I know she's an actor and all, but it still caught me off guard. Her role in "13 going on 30" seemed closer to her real-life persona.

I'll definitely rent "Catch and Release" when it's out on DVD, which will probably be in less than six months...

I think all of the movies you mentioned are in my to-rent list. I love that movies come out on DVD so quickly.

Unknown said...

Geo,
Because of your reviews I now tivo "30 Rock" every week. I also have been on the fence about "Children of Men", but I do believe I have come to trust your reviews. Thanks for doing movies also.

Geo said...

Valerie: Dunno if this makes it better or worse, but I saw them all on Saturday. In a row.

I loved Alias, too (well, most of it, as the series ended badly), but yeah – nice to see her succeed not as Sydney.

Dave: Good to hear, my man. I'll try to keep a little more current. Weekends have been mostly Bears and beer...

Valerie said...

Four movies all in a row? How many hours does that take, since there is probably some wait time in between some of the movies?

You must go to a theater with realllllyyyy comfortable seats too.

Do you get the popcorn/drink size that gets free refills and just gorge yourself on it all day?

Can you tell this whole concept is completely foreign to me?

The last time I saw a double feature was probably in a drive-thru when I was a little kid and I probably didn't stay awake for the entire second movie.

Geo said...

Valerie: I started with a 10:10am show and lined 'em up with only small breaks in between. I think I left around 6:15ish...

And I've been really working on my glutes for just such an occasion ;)